Court: Driving Safety Course
Driver Safety Course is a type of deferred judgment that can dismiss your citation if you meet certain criteria. This option requires the applicant to complete the outlined requirements within 90 days.
When you successfully complete the Driver Safety Course option, there is no final conviction and the complaint may not be used against you for any purpose. A conviction will not be reported.
When You Are Not Eligible to Request a Driving Safety Course
- You received a ticket for speeding 25 mph over the posted speed limit.
- The offense occurred in a construction zone with workers present.
- The offense was for unlawfully passing a school bus.
- The offense was for leaving the scene of an accident.
- You have or held a commercial driver’s license (CDL) at the time of the offense.
- If you have taken a DSC within the 12 months before the date of this citation, or you are currently required to take a DSC for another citation.
At the time of the request through the portal, you must do the following:
- Enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest with written waiver of jury trial.
- Provide a valid Texas driver's license or Military ID.
- Provide proof of financial responsibility (auto insurance) listing you as a driver or a policy covering the defendant as an insured (clerk will phone to verify permissive coverage if defendant is not a named insured on policy).
- Sign an affidavit swearing eligibility to take DSC.
- Pay the applicable fees of $144 or $169 if the offense occurred in a school zone. All costs and fees are subject to change without notice.
- If eligible, upload required documents through the McKinney Municipal Court Portal
- If approved, the court will grant you permission to take the course.
- All communication will be received via email. The defendant will need to check their inbox, junk, and spam mail. If no communication is received within 10 days, please email Contact-Courts@McKinneyTexas.org. Include: citation / case number, full legal name, address, phone number, and reason for inquiry. Unless an email is sent after 4:30 p.m., an available clerk will respond to your inquiry the same day.
- Approved cases have 90 days to complete the course and obtain a certified copy of your driving record from the Department of Public Safety in Austin.
Where You Can Take a Driving Safety Course
Search for Texas Education Agency Approved Driving Safety Courses online. The course must be an approved course for the dismissal of a traffic citation in the State of Texas.
Failure to Complete a Driving Safety Course
- If you fail to complete any one of the requirements by the timelines listed above, you will be notified by written correspondence sent to your last known address with the date and time of your show cause hearing.
- If you fail to appear at the hearing, a conviction on your case will be imposed and payment will be due immediately.
- If the case remains unsatisfied, a capias profine warrant with a $50 warrant fee will be issued, an additional $15 one time payment reimbursement fee will be added and after 60 days there will be a collection fee added.
- If you are experiencing any financial hardships, please contact the court.